After July's book haul and money spent I told myself to go on a book buying ban and yet some how I ended up with an extra 39 book to not fit on my bookshelves. I though July was a little ridiculous until I now look back at the purchases and book mail of August. Well it's only right to show what I actually got. I'm also interested to find out if I spent more than July.
The Magicians - Lev Grossman
Price - £2
From - Pages book shop, Settle
I recently started watching the TV series of this with my mum not knowing it was a book until I walked into the bookshop and found the book. I couldn't not buy it. The book is always better than the film or tv show right? So, since I had been enjoying the show, I look forward to reading the book.
El Alcalde de Zalamea & La Vida es Sueño - Calderon de la Barca
Price - £3.50
From - The Corner, Settle
I was amazed to find this. So many of the bookshop in Settle pride themselves in selling obscure books and ones in foreign languages. Not once did I find any plays written by Lope de Vega or any Spanish Golden Age playwrights, not even English translations. I look everywhere. Until just by chance I spotted this, in Spanish, in the last bookshop we went to. I loved reading the English translation of El Alcalde de Zalamea and now I'm properly trying to advance my Spanish, I hope to be able to read the Spanish translations.
A collection of Penguin 60s
Price - 30p each
From - The Corner, Settle
How gorgeous and cute are these little classic Penguin 60s. I'd not heard of them or seen any before until I spotted them in the same bookshop I got the Spanish plays from. They were only 30p each so I picked up the entire lot (including the ones below). I was trying not to spend so much money on books so it took me a while to decided whether or not to buy them, but really I think my mind was made up the entire time.
More Penguin 60s books
Price - 30p each
From - The Corner, Settle
I was amazed by some of the titles in the collection; a number of them will actually come in handy for my degree, which helped me make my decision. Or should I say, it confirmed my decision more. They are all such lovely additions to my bookshelves, and a lovely little collection so add to!
The Saturday Girls - Elizabeth Woodcraft
Price - Free
From - Readers First and Zaffre
I was sent this book pre-release to review and so I did. You can read the review here! Safe to say, it wasn't for me and I was quite disappointed.
Killer T - Robert Muchamore
Price - Free
From - Readers First and Hot Key Books
This, and the following two books, was also a pre-release book sent in return for a review. You can read the review here! I very much enjoyed this one. The story was imaginative yet so close to real life despite being set in the near-future. I often forget it was set in the future at times. I found it to be incredibly thought-provoking. Definitely worth the read!
The Wanderer - Michael Ridpath
Price - Free
From - Readers First and Corvus Books
The review for this will be posted soon as I am currently just finishing reading it. So far, so good! I do love a good crime/thriller novel and anything that has links with history. I have a soft spot for Norse mythology, or I suppose any mythology really. This is definitely different compared to the other thriller novels I've read recently.
The G.I. Bride - Eileen Ramsay
Price - Free
From - Readers First and Zaffre
I'm yet to read this one but really look forward to it. It is supposed to be a romance set during the Blitz or shortly after. I guess I shall find out. From the first impression I got of it, I'm hopefully expecting a swoon-worthy romance. Look out for my review when I have read it!
TOTAL MONEY SPENT ON BOOKS: £15.40
(9p less than July)
NUMBER OF BOOKS GAINED: 39
(24 more than July)
An average of 22p per book.
Not too bad I guess! Just a little less than July, though I'm surprised it was still around the £15 mark. Considering the books I bought were when I was on a little holiday as a treat to myself, I thought I did well in not buying too many books that cost a lot. I am also very grateful to have been sent so many books to review. Look forward to reading them and reviewing more!
Until the next book...
- KC xx
Buy or pre-order these books online:
Until the next book...
- KC xx
Buy or pre-order these books online:



















